Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Andy's MST3K Birthday

I love birthdays. I think everyone should celebrate them and like to go above and beyond to make the birthday person feel special. So as Andy's birthday approached I asked him what he wanted his birthday theme to be. Now my husband is not over excitable or enthusiastic like I am. We are opposites in this way. So to indulge me he told me what he really wanted: To have his friends over to watch a movie with prepared jokes in the style of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

I had my challenge. They don't make ANY MST3K party supplies so I was going to need to make everything myself. I created my plan. Napkins, Cups, Cupcakes, Decorations, and Invitations.

Invitation:
Easy, just used Power Point and the Internet.


Napkins:
This was more thinking. I figured I would stamp them and contemplated making a potato stamp. Instead I printed things off the Internet, used transparency paper and traced them on the transparency paper with puffy paint. Once they had dried for 24 hours I attached them to extra foam pieces I'd saved and with the help of friends stamped several plain napkins. The big thing to remember is to print your images backwards because I didn't and where ever there were words they were backwards. Oh well, live and learn.

video




Cups: I didn't do much with these because of time but I just printed images of Crow on leftover labels and stuck them to the cups. You'll see photos below.
Decorations:
I did two main things for decorations. I printed out a bunch of images on 11x17 paper and put them up all over the walls then I cut a giant bone out of cardboard, spray painted it and had my husband decorate it with a sharpie to make the Satellite of Love. Lastly, Andy had a calendar form 2008 which was all Monster Movie posters. Perfect!

Front Door
I also went with a slight movie theme because it's much easier to find movie themed items and had popcorn cups and boxes of movie candy. Wait til you see the cupcakes! :-)
Another little detail I made were labels with the Gizmonics logo on them. This transformed any regular person into a member of the Gizmonics workforce even if they didn't wear a costume. Luckily for me our friend Joe has white hair and accidentally wore a long sleeve black shirt which made him look exactly like TV's Frank.

Had MST3K on the TV while people hung out
Easy Signing board!

Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank


Cupcakes:
Andy specified he wanted Boston Creme cake, but I wanted to make cupcakes so I just modified it and hulled out the middle of all the cupcakes to pipe in creme. I also piped the frosting on because it make it easier to cover the hole. Once that was done, I popped them into homemade wrappers and added marshmallows. To make the marshmallows look like popcorn I used a pastry brush to dab a little water onto them before shaking on yellow sprinkles to give them the buttered look. All in all I really like how they came out. I also was able to flip over a trifle dish, add a tap light, tissue paper, and an MST3K window cling which I had given Andy last year to create my perfect centerpiece.




Homemade card to Andy. We are cuddling in silhouette.


To top the whole thing off, I had purchased Andy a shirt to finally iron his Gizmonics patch to. (Previously gifted to him.) He became the "normal guy in a red (green) jumpsuit" and I dressed as the Dr. Forrester with stuff I had around the house because wearing a mustache is hilarious to me. I believe I accomplished my mission and Andy had a memorable birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment